Thursday, February 25, 2010

FIRST TIME MOM




I'm surprised that i took to motherhood better than what i thought. I wasn't afraid to pick up and hold something so small and delicate. She was 6lbs and i remember not thinking twice about turning her over and getting her dressed, changing her nappy all in a good time etc but yet when i hold a friends baby or my niece or nephew, my hand literally shakes as I'm terrified of doing something really stupid like dropping the baby..... but unfortunately that's as far as motherhood was easy, the rest was a nightmare. At the time i just got on with it and never complained, i don't even think i mentioned how hard it was to anyone even my in laws, i was so afraid in case i was judged. I still think there is a little bit of me like that today and i know every 1st mom has it hard and i don't want to take their hard times away but here is my story....


I remember times where if i got upset that i would go into another room and say to myself "stop crying, pull yourself together and remember this is what you wanted, a baby, and have been trying for years" then id compose myself and carry on, and that seemed to work for me, now mind you it didn't stop the tiredness or even make my little girl calmer, it just made me stronger.




For the 1st 3 months she fed every 3hrs day and night, then it would take about an hour and half to feed and burp her, she was only on 60mils. Then she only started to sleep when she hears noises so hubby and i had to leave the water tap running and walk up and down the kitchen for about 40mins until she was asleep, this went on for about 2 months, then came the car trips, even some 2 or 3 in the morning and I'm sure not alone in this, i think a few reading this will nod there heads in reminiscing about there own kids.

People say that the 1st is always the hardest, so im hopeful......and its only lately that I'm thinking, id do it all again in a heartbeat......me thinks I'm getting broody

8 comments:

  1. Ooohh, I know exactly what you mean. My first two children had 24 hour colic and I thought I was losing my mind. It didn't stop me getting broody again and luckily my third didn't have it. I wouldn't swap any of them though and it was only on my third that I realised just how difficult the first two were. You are starting at a great place for another baby, it can only get easier:D A blog baby would be great:) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on this one, Lauren was a reflux baby so constantly feeding her to try and keep anything down, walked the floors night and day and if she fell asleep on me while I was sitting down I wouldn't attempt to get up for hours until she had sleep. Like Jen it took having another one who was a text book baby for me to realise just how bad she was. I left a four year gap before having Kyle but it didn't put me off and I am so glad I have him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both my first two babies were tiny, and on three hour feeds for months. Smiley had reflux and suspected diabetes insipidus, which means she would dehydrate very easily, so I had to keep an input output chart, including weighing the used nappies to make sure she was getting enough fluid. After that I still went on to have a third baby! So if you want another one, I would say just go for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Mother Nature whispers in your ear you gotta listen.....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. tnx girls, my motto is never say never ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog!
    Actually the third is the hardest!!! The second is easy peasy ....only kidding, follow your heart. You are a great Mum.
    My first was a big shock to the system, she never slept...you know the way they say sleep when the baby sleeps - well what if they don't! After that you kind've have lower expectations so if they sleep at all you are delighted. Tommy slept like a log from day 1 so they are all different. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. as soon as you forget the hard times from number 1 your ready for number 2
    the best decision i ever made was number 2, number 3 lol il tell you about number 3 in a few years time when ive forgotten the hard times again

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I think Butterfly would love a little brother or sister... The first is always the hardest in some ways as you don't really know which way is up and just feeling around in the dark for answers as to why your longed for baby just won't stop crying! Second is easier as you know things that worked first time around. You know the old saying... On the first when they drop the dummy you sterilise it, on the second you run it under the tap, on the third you give it to the dog to lick hehe. If you are broody and want another child, then go for it missus xxx

    ReplyDelete